I lead the Linux support effort across all relevant social surfaces where Framework has a presence. Helps build online documentation around popular Linux distributions, provides Linux technical support, and works with internal Framework teams to ensure a quality experience for Framework Linux customers globally.
My operating system experience consists of both Windows and Linux operating platforms. I’ve also worked as a podcast producer, co-host, and technology writer. For general inquiries, you can reach me at matt(at)matthartley.com.
Linux Support Lead
Nov 2022 – Present
Leads the Linux support effort across all relevant social surfaces where Framework has a presence. Helps build online documentation around popular Linux distributions, provides Linux technical support, and works with internal Framework teams to ensure a quality experience for Framework Linux customers globally.
– Assists in the architecture of Framework’s Linux support infrastructure
and prepare for scale and global expansion.
– Engages with Framework’s growing Linux Community across multiple
social surfaces providing both development updates and technical
– Builds out detailed guides and knowledge base articles focused on Linux
distribution setup, hardware compatibility, and issue troubleshooting.
– Provides technical support for escalated Tier 3 issues.
support ticketing system.
– Identifies, documents, and escalates Linux issues on Framework hardware
to internal engineering teams and liaise with external resources to
Happiness Engineer (Tech Support Technician) | System76
Mar 2022 – Nov 2022
Handpicked to align the technology support vision with the business strategy while balancing organizational considerations, current technology, business priorities, and operational processes. Working with Linux exclusively; triaging whether an issue a customer is facing is Linux/software or hardware related. Provides expert-level support to all our client’s applications. Manages the support tickets within the allocated time frames to avoid delays in response. Responds to tickets with either a request for additional information, logs, or provides an immediate resolution. Interacts with support teams through Slack and Discord.
– Provides Support via Email through Zendesk. Supports different clients and exceeded a 90% first contact resolution goal.
– Successfully made a presentation on Linux audio to non-technical workplace audiences, increasing audience engagement.
– Developed a script that a customer could run and would take care of the complicated elements of file sharing on a Linux computer.
– Continuously achieves operational efficiency and performance by consistently meeting and exceeding established goals and expectations while providing ongoing support, training, and performance.
Founder/Community Manager | Old School
Sep 2020 – Jun 2022
Established and launched a community space from the ground up, a community that serves as an escape for those wishing to remember what life was like decades ago. Engaged the community with games, memes, and silly tidbits of nostalgia for 1980s pop culture, though challenging, a lot of fun. Participated in other 80s nostalgia-focused communities to share relevant posts from my membership site. Responded to members’ comments on shared articles or videos, exchanged ideas, and shared fun memories of the period discussed in the content.
– Created and coordinated programs for community members while also maintaining excellent relationships.
– Implemented scheduling and strategies that allowed the addition of new content/posts for members.
– Successfully managed the only 1980s community offering a truly interactive movie “watch party” experience. Offered the first well-known 1980s social community that also had a paid membership base with benefits like access to movie watch parties within the height of COVID-19.
Community Manager | OpenShot Studios, LLC
May 2020 – Dec 2020
Established and maintained client relations by providing “white-glove” technical support and serving as a direct line of contact for the community on behalf of OpenShot. Advocated on behalf of the OpenShot community the wishes and support needed for the OpenShot developers. Answered email tickets for support, created how-to videos, promoted community projects on Twitter, and created informational posts on OpenShot’s Reddit and Facebook pages.
– Successfully updated and organized the company’s Reddit page, enabled tagging to help stream bugs and questions, and assisted users simply looking to share their creations.
– Consistently maintained a 95% average satisfaction score through a passion for exceptional customer service.
– Served as a point of contact for escalations, constantly adapting my workflow to meet the demands of the community.
WordPress Administrator | Self-Employed
Jun 2017 – Sep 2020
Provided the Installation, repair, and overall day-to-day management of WordPress websites for contract clients. Additional tasks include backup management, hardening WordPress installations, integrating video/ audio into existing WordPress sites.
Freelance Contributor | QuinStreet
Jun 2007 – Jul 2018
Wrote editorial articles on Linux/Open Source software for Datamation.com. Articles presented offer an in-depth topic analysis.
Community Manager / Freelance Consultant | Earth Networks
Feb 2006 – Dec 2016
Built the Earth Networks Backyard Weather Community from the ground up. I moderated posts and approved member requests, provided back-end support for the community website, and helped beta test new consumer and professional weather monitoring software.
Co Host | Jupiter Broadcasting
2012 – 2015
Served as the co-host for The Linux Action Show. Provided my perspective on Linux topics, helped with interviews and attended events such as LinuxFest Northwest to stream the show live.
Founder & Tech | Computer Troubleshoot
Jul 2003 – Aug 2008
Owned and managed a PC Repair Business. Directed the business end of things while handling the
technical challenges my clients faced. I tackled typical computer issues faced by my customers while
educating clients on how to best use their PCs.
Producer & Co-Founder | Weezy and The Swish
Jun 2005 – Jun 2007
TechTV’s Laura Swisher, myself, and Premiere Radio co-founder Louise Palanker created an audio
podcast in the spirit of comedy called ‘Weezy and The Swish.’ Matt Sigman handled audio production
work while I dealt with the website and RSS/podcasting syndication.